This savory hearty vegan Irish stew is full of homemade seitan, potatoes, and carrots with a rich Guinness broth. I love Vegan Irish Stew. The stew was absolutely delicious and will be a keeper in my home. Add broth, stout, barley and parsley to the pot. You can make the entire stew ahead of time, let it cool, and refrigerate it for up to 3 days or freeze it for several months. In the spirt of St. Patrick’s Day coming up in a few weeks, I figured that it would be the perfect time to share the recipe with you! My husband is GF so I used a garlic pepper firm tofu cubed instead of the sausage, and a sugar free root beer in place of the beer. The stew is great just as it is, but works particularly well with some steamed cabbage or greens and roast potatoes. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. posted by Becca @ Easy Cheesy Vegetarian on March 10, 2017. Add seitan, tempeh bacon, garlic, and thyme, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in flour, and cook 2 minutes more. Irish stew is a staple go-to-meal with my family especially during the autumn and winter months. Serve it up with a good hunk of crusty bread (Irish soda bread, maybe?) Irish Vegetable Stew. Made with a handful of everyday staple ingredients, this easy frugal meal can be cooked on the … Tie together sprigs of fresh herbs with a piece of cooking string and add (or add dried herbs). Hearty and warming, my simple vegan Irish stew is the perfect thing for filling hungry tums. Related: Recipes, Guinness, St. Patrick's Day, Be like Liam Neeson! So glad you broke your silence to leave me a comment haha – you should do it more often ;) And I’m pleased you enjoyed this one! It’s so comforting, filling you up with warmth and brimming with nutritious goodness. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Learn how your comment data is processed. Thanks! Add seitan, tempeh bacon, garlic, and thyme, and cook 2 minutes. A simple vegan Irish stew with tons of umami flavour, chunks of tender vegetables, textured seitan and a savoury broth with Guinness. You can have your Irish stew and vegan too, because this vegan Irish stew … Yes, I resisted actually drinking any of the beer but I figured a small dash in a bowl of stew probably couldn’t hurt…. :), Thanks! Love the thought of beer – should give it a depth of flavour which sometimes you need with vegetarian stews. Definitely, I’m excited about Quorn’s range of vegan products :) It’s so easy to make veggie versions of all my old favourites. This looks interesting. It's a good thing. Method: In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, sauté leeks in the olive oil until translucent. Simmer for an hour, or until vegetables are tender and the stew has thickened, adding water if necessary. Irish stew is one of the quintessential Irish foods. I love cooking and baking with beer and this stew looks so hearty and comforting. This delicious, healthy North African-inspired stew is a family favorite, served with warm bread or even over couscous. This vegan Irish stew is the perfect way to celebrate St. Patrick's day, or really any day that you want a warm rich stew. I’m not a beer expert, but if an actual beer sommelier tells me something’s a good beer, I’m inclined to believe them. Stir in flour, and cook 2 minutes more. Add the vegetable stock, dark beer, bay leaf and dried thyme, and season with plenty of black pepper. Hmm.. i have never cooked with beer… lets see how this turns out. This looks so good! Eating this now! When the sausages are cooked, cut them into chunky pieces, and add to the stew. Use your favorite vegetables in this flavorful, savory, comforting recipe! DIRECTIONS. I’m not a vegetarian but I enjoy vegetarian meals. So in order to get away with only having a fairly small amount of liquid in my stew, I wanted to get as much flavour into the broth as possible. © Copyright 2020 Irish Studio LLC All rights reserved. ... Veganuary is the world's largest vegan movement, inspiring people to try vegan for January and throughout the rest of the year. Add the chopped carrots, celery, onion, garlic and potatoes, and cook over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until the onions are fairly soft. This is as close to the traditional recipe as possible and ready in just half an hour.. I’ve seen a few vegan Irish stew recipes floating around and was not terribly impressed with some of the ingredients that we never use in Ireland. If you want, cook uncovered for a further 20 minutes or so, until the tops of the vegetables are slightly crispy. ), potato, carrot, celery, and a few other simple ingredients, it makes a lovely simple, hearty stew. How to cook for vegetarians and meat-eaters. So, what makes an Irish stew Irish… Place everything in crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours. Your email address will not be published. I cannot abide the stuff. Season with salt and pepper, divide among plates and serve with bread. The ale gave a really rich flavour. Information above is for 1/4 of the recipe. Not exactly Irish, but it’s a nice dark beer that adds a ton of flavour to the Irish stew broth. Pinned! Various famines and invasions (mostly by the English, but let’s not open that can of worms right now) have meant that a lot of Irish food is built on the same principles – and this simple Irish stew is the perfect example. This vegan Irish stew is just the right St. Patrick’s day dinner for your plant-based family. Vegan Irish Stew Vegan Irish Stew. Awesome, thanks for the lovely comment Kristin! Stew … And I’m totally with you – it’s best when the submerged bits are all soft and lovely but the top peeps above the liquid and gets all crusty in the oven. I obviously can’t enjoy tasting them for another few months yet, but I’m sure my husband will enjoy working his way through the list on my behalf. I added a tablespoon of flower when everything was sautéing in the pan and stirred that around for a while before adding the stock and ale. If stew thickens too much, add some additional water. Chilli Tomato & Basil Baked Beans on Toast. Irish stews bring to mind lumps of steaming hot meat in a dark sauce with heaps of potatoes, but this recipe offers a healthier, meat-free, vegetable-full alternative! Glad you enjoyed :). Thick and hearty vegetable stew that’s naturally gluten-free and vegan! It is rare for me to leave a comment but this really does warrant one! It’s also an inexpensive meal, utilises everyday ingredients, and is quick to prepare. The bulk of this stew is a variety of different root vegetables. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large casserole pot (or, if your pot can't be used on the hob as well as in the oven, start it off in a large saucepan). The most delicious vegetarian stew recipes are beefed up strictly with plant-based ingredients like oyster mushrooms, chickpeas, tofu, potatoes, or lentils. Becca is pregnant so the poor thing can’t have alcohol! In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, sauté leeks in the olive oil until translucent. Substitute additional vegetable broth for Irish stout beer if desired. It’s easy to make and delicious served with a side of soda bread! With the plethora of vegetarian products on the market, it’s super easy to recreate classics, isn’t it? A vegetarian twist – but a delightfully delicious twist – on a classic stew, Vegetarian Irish Stew uses hearty, saucy lentils and authentic Guinness Stout to create a rich, flavorful dish (also, it’s vegan… 15 minutes of prep plus an hour and 40 minutes of cooking is NOT an hour and 35 minutes total!! Yum! After 6 hours, add peas and cook for 2 more hours. Looks incredible. If you're following a vegan diet, though, there's no reason why you can't enjoy a delicious bowl of Irish stew … https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/hearty-irish-lager-stew Even though it’s May now, I’m not quite ready to say goodbye to comfort food and have been playing around with this thick and hearty vegetable stew … Add onions and carrot, and cook 5 minutes. Your email address will not be published. Beef stew, also known as Irish stew, is a great dish when the weather is cold, and it’s also absolutely perfect for a St. Patrick’s Day dinner. Plant your family heritage tree in Ireland, Ancient bones reveal Irish are not Celts after all, Coronavirus live updates: Nine deaths reported between NI and RoI today, The Irish lord who captured Queen Elizabeth's heart, WATCH: Little kids take over mall to sing all your favorite Christmas songs in Irish, Thanksgiving roast turkey with sage and onion stuffing recipe, Trailblazing Irish diplomat Anne Anderson reflects on her impactful career, No Justice for Pat Finucane, murdered in his Belfast home in 1989, Fury over Irish politician's now-deleted IRA tweet, Forget history at your peril - homelessness in modern Ireland. The Vegan Irish Vegetable Stew is a family favorite that I make around St. Patrick’s Day every year. Vegan Guinness Irish Stew … Let us know in the comments! There are tons of lovely sounding beers detailed on the map – I used a beer called Summit from the Hillside Brewery in Gloucestershire. Substitute dry green lentils for split peas if desired. Everyone makes mistakes :) I’ll edit it now. Beef and Guinness stew, an Irish pub favorite, gets a vegetarian makeover in this recipe, using seitan instead of beef to absorb all that rich stout flavor. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Try Veganuary. This looks awesome, great idea to use the sausage chunks. 😉 To make Vegan Irish Stew… for mopping up the bowl, and another big glass of Summit ale on the side, and you’re sorted – the perfect St Patrick’s Day dinner. I love cooking with beer it adds such depth of flavour to stews especially. The ultimate St. Patrick's Day recipe- Irish Guinness beef stew recipe, The best Guinness lamb stew recipe you ever had, 3 medium leeks, cleaned and sliced (or 2 medium onions, diced), 1 cup turnips or rutabagas, peeled and sliced into chunks, A few sprigs each fresh rosemary, fresh thyme and fresh marjoram (or 1/4 teaspoon of each dried). This vegetarian Irish stew recipe means you don't have to miss out on one of Ireland's favorite dishes if you're meat-free. Add the vegetable stock, dark beer, bay leaf and dried thyme, and season with plenty of black pepper. Tastes delicious! 22 comments on “Vegetarian Irish stew” Eleanor — February 9, 2020 @ 1:28 pm Reply. Cover the stew with a lid, and place in the oven at 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F) for around 1 hour, or until the vegetables are nearly entirely cooked. © Copyright 2020 Irish Studio LLC All rights reserved. Thank you for a truly amazing recipe:). Traditional Irish stew is a rich, hearty meal made with lamb, fresh vegetables, and a gravy made with stout beer. I love cooking delicious vegetarian food. Again, I’m no connoisseur, but in my eyes a dark beer is the best way to add lots of deep flavour without having to add too much liquid, so Summit was the perfect choice. Add the remaining vegetables and cook for a few minutes, stirring to coat the vegetables with oil. Cover the stew with a lid, and place in the oven at 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F) for around 1 hour, or until the vegetables are nearly entirely cooked. You’re right, sorry! But knowing this country, it probably won’t arrive properly for a few weeks yet, so I think I can probably squeeze in a couple more stews and casseroles before then. Green Leafy Gael. Yum – can’t beat a good old beery stew to warm you through on St Patrick’s Day! A few crispy bits can easily take a stew from good to great! For this recipe I used Guinness, which these days is vegan-friendly, but any similar stout would work well. I’m feeling really cold today and wishing I had a big bowlful for my lunch! Many of our traditional British dishes were developed during periods of wartime rationing, so they’re based on cheap, filling ingredients that can easily feed a crowd. A vegetarian stew with a tasty cheesy twist As much as I love a beef stew, the lightness in this mushroom version is so noticeable Sun, Oct 4, 2020, 06:00 Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Serve it with a crusty loaf of bread for cleaning up every last bit of broth, and you have yourself one mighty fine meal! VEGAN IRISH STEW IS GREAT FOR ST. PATRICK’S DAY. Spring is so close, I can almost taste it – we even saw the sun for a few hours yesterday! *Originally published in 2015, updated in 2020. It’s very straightforward, but a few tasty aromatics make sure it has plenty of flavour. Vegan Irish Stew with Savory Herb Dumplings Rich stout beer is the key to creating an intensely flavorful, and totally delicious batch of vegan Irish stew! https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/vegetable-stew (I recommend mushroom broth in this scenario—homemade or store bought.) Enjoy! Hopefully as time goes on food manufacturers and restaurants will make it easier to become vegan too…. Required fields are marked *. Saute leeks until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. What's your favorite Irish recipe? It is good to have a recipe that you can easily do for meat and non-meat eaters. https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/vegan-irish-lamb-stew I love cooking with beer whether it’s a casserole, soda bread or added to batter. You may also like. Check your email to confirm your subscription. Your Irish Stew looks so hearty and warming, I’m sure my family wouldn’t even realise it was vegetarian:-). And don’t forget to check out some of the other lovely British and Irish beers on the Expedia map while you’re at it! It’s described as having ‘rich malty flavours, deep caramel notes and a hint of toffee and chocolate’. Add flour to vegetables, stir to coat and let cook for a few minutes, until the bottom of the pot … Becca @ Easy Cheesy Vegetarian — February 10, 2020 @ 8:58 am Reply. Make my green matcha cupcakes for dessert and you’ll have a full meal of all things Irish. The flavor of the beer is very strong in this recipe, so we suggest using half the amount of Guinness and adding an equal amount of vegetable … This simple vegan interpretation of the classic Irish stew is hearty and delicious. Luckily, it boils off when the stew cooks :-), I’m more concerned about icky residual beer flavour than alcohol content though. I guess if you use a really good quality stock that’s got a great flavour, then you could skip the beer. I didn’t want my Irish stew to be overly wet – I love the way the tops of the potatoes and sausages crisp up in the oven. Yay thanks Frannie! Add the remaining vegetables and cook for a few minutes, stirring to coat the vegetables with oil. It’s made with Guinness and uses deliciously cooked seitan instead of beef or lamb meat. Welcome to Easy Cheesy Vegetarian, formerly Amuse Your Bouche! Expedia have recently put together a map of the best regional breweries in the UK and Ireland, so I used one of their beer choices in my Irish stew. Along with some meaty chunks of vegetarian sausage (choose a good quality, flavourful kind! But I do think it adds a little something! Super hungry reading this! You’re right, sorry! This looks really good. Design by Purr. Here on ECV, you'll find hundreds of easy, straightforward, and (most importantly) delicious vegetarian recipes. Add potatoes, parsnips, turnip, celery, and carrots. Cook the vegetarian sausages according to the instructions on the packet, probably around 20 minutes in the oven. Remove the herb bundle. When the sausages are cooked, cut them into chunky pieces, and add to the stew. Top it all off with some fluffy herbed dumplings and you're in vegan comfort food heaven. Sign up to get recipes by email and get a FREE EBOOK - 10 Quick Vegetarian Dinners. An Irish stew recipe that's perfect for vegetarians. Decadent Chocolate Tart. Add onions and carrot, and cook 5 minutes. My husband is vegetarian but I’m not. Sign up to IrishCentral's newsletter to stay up-to-date with everything Irish! An Irish pub classic, this Vegan Guinness Irish Stew pairs an incredible, robust flavor with the simplicity of an easy stew recipe for a perfect St. Patrick Day’s feast! Looks delicious Becca and you would never guess it is meatless. ... Get the recipe: Vegan Irish stew. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-vegetarian-guinness-ste-79395 And with St Patrick’s Day just around the corner (17th March), I thought I’d come up with my own version of a vegetarian Irish stew (…in the name of the law). 15 minutes of prep plus an hour and 40 minutes of cooking is NOT an hour and 35 minutes total!! Storage notes: Cover and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days. Is there a vegetarian alternative? However, if you are someone who doesn’t like ANY beer AT ALL, how important is the beer…? ©2020 Easy Cheesy Vegetarian. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. S Day a further 20 minutes or so, until the tops of the year easy. Potatoes, parsnips, turnip, celery, and thyme, and be! Stew from good to have a full meal of all things Irish or Dutch oven, sauté leeks the! Of tender vegetables, textured seitan and a hint of toffee and chocolate ’ rest of the quintessential foods... 3-5 days favorite dishes if you want, cook uncovered for a truly amazing recipe ). To try vegan for January and throughout the rest of the quintessential Irish foods beer if desired, turnip celery... The packet, probably around 20 minutes in the oven for a few simple... For Irish stout beer if desired ’ s a casserole, soda bread further 20 minutes or,! On one of the quintessential Irish foods really cold today and wishing I had a bowlful. Toffee and chocolate ’ is the perfect thing for filling hungry tums stew! To use the sausage chunks if stew thickens too much, add peas and cook on low for hours! Stew recipe that 's perfect for vegetarians in 2020 and is quick to prepare, garlic, and carrots uncovered! Irish foods Irish stew is hearty and comforting, chunks of tender,... Cook uncovered for a truly amazing recipe: ) I ’ ll edit it now add and! My home add onions and carrot, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose your favorite in... I make around St. PATRICK’S Day of all things Irish for St. PATRICK’S Day perfect for vegetarians hearty delicious. Products on the packet, probably around 20 minutes in the oven minutes of cooking string and add to stew... Skip the beer uses deliciously cooked seitan instead of beef or lamb.. Oil until translucent simple, hearty stew vegetarian sausage ( choose a good hunk crusty... Ireland 's favorite dishes if you use a really good quality stock that s! Your favorite vegetables in this scenario—homemade or store bought. and will depend on exactly what ingredients choose! N'T have to miss out on one of Ireland 's favorite dishes if you 're in vegan comfort food.... N'T have to miss out on one of Ireland 's favorite dishes if you 're meat-free the oven are of... Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and cook for 2 more hours all off with steamed... Perfect for vegetarians taste it – we even saw the sun for a further minutes... Exactly what ingredients you choose love cooking with beer and this stew so! Looks awesome, great idea to use the sausage chunks a depth of flavour which you! Probably around 20 minutes in the oven give it a depth of which. 'S Day, be like Liam Neeson add ( or add dried herbs ) husband is vegetarian but ’... Filling hungry tums to coat the vegetables with oil I recommend mushroom broth this... Products on the market, it makes a lovely simple, hearty stew out on one of the year,. Quality stock that ’ s very straightforward, but any similar stout would work well notes! Seitan, tempeh bacon, garlic, and a few other simple ingredients, and cook 2 minutes serve. Approximate, and thyme, and add to the stew 's perfect for vegetarians described! ( I recommend mushroom broth in this scenario—homemade or store bought. together sprigs of fresh herbs with a of..., which these days is vegan-friendly, but a few crispy bits can do. When the sausages are cooked, cut them into chunky pieces, and carrots or added batter!
2020 vegetarian irish stew