I agree for some it makes sense to buy, but only because Garmin are being douche bags with their API! Anyone experienced this as well ? In this case, the smart scale market has basically been the preserve of Withings and Fitbit for the last few years. However, now, it correctly updates every time it syncs. If it’s a deal breaker go with something like Withings, being mindful they’ve been acquired by Nokia ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. For weight loss guidance, the Polar app (which syncs with the Polar Balance Connected Scale ($90.00 at Amazon) ) does the best job. this scale) by locking it down to their own platform that’s not making them any money. The only things I can think of are that A) if a company that garmin intends to compete against (ie. Can you do this on the scales or in the app? Yet on Garmin Connect it shows my weight and goal weight only with no other stats. At the moment Garmin have it completely backwards, in that you can spend your money on another company’s hardware and get that data wherever you like (including Garmin Connect) but if you spend your money on the Garmin Index then you’re locked into their system. Mine suddenly dropped of the wifi and after many many attempts with different firewalls, access points and an ant+ stick (and help from Garmin support which is great) i got a new one. If I have my Strava and TrainingPeaks accounts connected to my Garmin Connect account, will this send my weight data to those accounts? Am I doing something wrong? It can handle weight up to 400 pounds, and is accurate to 0.1-pound. In my case, I did not have issues on a final production unit. They already have the platform (Garmin Connect Auto Sync) setup to do exactly this. Total junk! With myself and wife setup via my phone.So it recognises is both. But the proof is in the pudding, and between the durable tempered glass top and the 400 lb weight limit, Garmin Index Smart Scale holds up. Hey Ray, thanks for the review, but the Index Scale just is not syncing with MyFitnessPal. Updated constantly! What is the last missing step? Then they stopped syncing via Wi-Fi. great, thats too bad. It’s annoying at @#$#. I’m trying to use mine away from home at the moment where there is no wifi. Will you test our product before release? Garmin scale is not reliable. I’ve had no end of problems with WiFi. ekutter-the simple answer is to stay in the Garmin ecosystem. Ray there is zero integration with myfitnesspal. My scales work without a hitch and connect to my wifi no problem. They’re working to address the nowbroken/inconsistent sync issues (for both weight and general MFP stuffs). If you are going to require a Anti+ device for set up then put it in the box don’t tell me that you can send me the device 7-10 day after i purchased the device. I spoke with Garmin technical support this morning (Angel) and they have an internal open case that expires on 9/30. The Garmin Index can also sync to a computer using an ANT+ stick, but you have to supply your own. changed the 4 letter user name. Have you had any issues with it being extremely sensitive turning on? But for everything else is levels up if compared to garmin scale. I too worry about forgetting to switch users, so that is another thing that makes me want to wait and see if Garmin will add the ability to have multiple data points before I jump into the wifi scale game which is hard since the new toy pull is hard to resist. Also I have had some big discrepancies – 2Kg difference on weighing events only 1 minute apart! Hmm, hard to say, but I doubt it. Same experience as you, Mark. Weighing multiple times a day just to find your weight would be pointless as far as I can see. My 2 year old has stepped on it and it decided that was me (~145lb) automatically. post long run weight data somewhere else anyway. I’m also on the bandwagon of at least trying to get support. Ultimately though, for me I don’t put much value in these extended metrics using electro impedance like other scales (nor do I put much value in people using calipers, most folks screw that up – despite having done it ‘hundreds’ or ‘thousands’ of times). I got a full refund. Day4 67,5 8,4 43,1 29,8 Neither of them have Wi-Fi syncing, so you need to have your phone in range to wirelessly sync your weigh-ins. That’s assuming, of course, I can convince the guest user to actually select guest in the first place. Garmin says they’re working to enable multi-point recordings, but don’t have a specific timeframe for implementation. Until Garmin understands the people most people work and therefore are not available to sit on hold M-F during a working day I will always give Garmin’s help line the lowest rating. Jill Duffy is a contributing editor covering productivity apps and software, as well as technologies for health and fitness. I like Garmin generally, I have thousands of pounds worth of their kit for boating, biking, driving, hiking, running, swimming, but honestly it annoys me that they are preventing my Withings scale sending weight data inwards, and that when they did eventually decide to join the bandwagon and offer their own scale it doesn’t support third parties. Not sure what you mean. Not really unfortunately. Bought one today 4APR19 in the USA. I have a Withings scale, but want to change as I also just put together my complete ‘Gear I Use’ equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). Well that is no longer the case – at some point form the time you wrote this review and today – Garmin made a change in the system so that OVERTIME you get on the same it updates your account? Not Funny at all. As I run 5 times a week, and do some other sports I selected “high” and I got a very low fat %. Just got an email from Garmin…finally multi weight ins for the day! Garmin's app doesn't have any special features for securely sharing your data with a healthcare team. Both of those channels are ONLY used for setup. Can you add an update to stop others from buying this. Hey, no. Mark – When you contacted Garmin support, what did they say? Interesting to hear that other have the same problem. Setting up the scale proved difficult in testing, and it lacks some of the features you'll find on competitors. I got an Index Scale about a month ago. So far, the scales are fine. I now wish i had recorded the setup process, I’m conservatively estimating it took 3 minutes from the time I had the batteries installed before the scale was 1) paired with the garmin connect app on my phone, 2) connected to my home wifi, and 3) transmitting data to both. I suspected as much, but couldn’t quite read between the lines of if it would. The above was tested with x3 different Wi-Fi devices to ensure this was not a WiFi issue, and it made no difference, so this eliminates the WiFi/Router as a source: Android: Touch the Menu icon (3 horizontal lines in the upper left) Now that it’s 2018, do you have scale updates? I only wish I had 9%… We’ll try that tomorrow. So if I step on the scale prior to a long run in the morning, it’ll record that value to Garmin Connect. to fetch it. Do you know if Garmin is planning a refresh this year, or if they typically update devices on a schedule? Anyone has an idia how can I do factory reset that will work ? I’d love to keep track to bf% and enter it manually twice a week, but buying a scale just to get a single parameter unlocked is in the “wtf” zone. I’ve got nothin Ray. I love how easy it is to log in your weights etc daily. Compatible with iOS, Android and Windows, you can use the Garmin Connect app on your smart devices to see your data in more detail and review your progress against your goals. Weird. I have had the software update notice for a fortnight now…… “Index Smart Scale, Version 2.50” just cannot get it on! At $150, it costs the same as the top two scales in our ranking, the QardioBase and the Withings WS-50. For 2 months since I bought the scale I was at 11.5-12.5% body fat. Also, don’t bother on carpet. On #1, any chance your two year old in the process of trying to weight themselves selected you? THUMBS UP IF YOU LIKE THIS VIDEO SUBSCRIBE NOW / Drop a comment below I hope you enjoyed this review of the Garmin Index Smart Scale! Not yet. Still, despite my lack of automated means – I did step on and off the scale numerous times, and would get the same values. Discovered this by coincident when setting up Vivosmart for my mom, and tracked it back to a re-install. I changed over from the Aria to the Index in January – at the moment I am not amused at all! I follow the instructions to the letter until they end. Simple. It’s always only saved the last measurement of the day. IT IS NOW IN THE BIN AND THE PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED. However, the Index S2 experience could have been improved by a better design and onboarding process. Or just stepping straight on top. Use it for trending only. I am sending my scale back and getting a Withings Scale instead. First, because the scale doesn’t record more than two measurements for the same time, that makes it tricky for me to just get on and off the scale 10 times in a row to see how consistent it is and have that data recorded (a common complaint among smart scales in general). Pretty much making any kind of weight trend useless. I’m just heavily invested in the Garmin ecosystem and wanted to make it all nice and homogenous. How can they create a wireless scale and not have a mac address readily available for people with a mac address filter? It measures 1.2 by 13.8 by 12.2 inches (HWD), and runs on four AA batteries (included), which should last about eight or nine months. Once he sets up his user settings for his initials (2 chars) and details he steps on scale and it should show up if it does not show his initials try tapping the top right corner to select or sometimes comes up with a ? Even when I placed a 1/4″ piece of plexi glass under it. I think this is a case of buyer beware, especially since Garmin has explicitly stated they don’t intend to share weight scale readings with partner apps. You need to sync via the Garmin Connect Mobile app. And No Plans. Brand new out of the box from clever training. Took less than 10 minutes. Subscribing to a newsletter indicates your consent to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. RunKeeper and Garmin Connect are able to sync, and there’s a website link to developer.garmin.com talking about a “Garmin Connect API”. Fta mass is different by 6-7% compared to tanita o withings, choosing athlete mode and 10 as level of athlete, Ray I believe you may need to readdress the following statement, “MyFitnessPal: While Garmin has a partnership with MyFitnessPal to sync weight data, it seems to work sporadically. The symptoms are that the setup doesn’t complete and the scale is stuck on the wrench icon. But sometimes it helps people who are new to fitness tracking learn what range is considered healthy for their height, age, and sex. Sweated a ton, as you can imagine. The symptoms I was getting were the same as described on the Garmin forums (not getting past setup/wrench icon etc). The issue I find with the garmin is sometimes you got to weigh yourself twice as the first time it’s well off. And I’m heavily invested in Garmin in terms of devices for my family and friends. Utter garbage product. I seldom if ever return products but after 3 weeks I had enough. I can’t predict that on some random September day a year and a half later that Garmin Connect would start halving the body fat values. That’s awesome. But… One thing that’s killing me it’s the body fat% reading coming around 9% where it should read around 15%… Hi thanks the pictures are great and I would guess I am at the lower end of this but I was hoping the scales actually can do it more accurately? I like to exercise and track my progress, but I am by no means a hard core trainer/athlete. If I’m the only registered user, will the occasional rando’s data be sent to my account? But it still is not as robust as some of the Tanita scales that measure things like visceral fat and Physique. I still have the same scale I’ve been using for years. BMI 25.1 So you do still have cheaper options. But otherwise walking past it doesn’t trigger it. It syncs weight data with apple health now. In the Box Index S2 4 x AAA batteries 4 carpet feet Documentation. I don’t think I recall seeing weight data in Strava. And you select the initials again. I am fine with getting the Withings, but not getting all of the data from it into Connect would be my biggest drawback. Of course, the singular benefit of this functionality is that your calorie counts will be slightly more correct. Weighing more than once per day issue and Bluetooth only for setup and only wi-fi transfer of data is not written in the manual! Select Disconnect from MyFitnessPal (small print at the bottom of the page) Thank you! If you weigh yourself after that 20 mile run and are down 5 pounds, that’s going to mess up your data big time. It sounds like it may still be a few months away. The Index Smart Scale comes with 4 AA batteries, giving you up to 9 months of use before you need to switch them out. b. D-Link bog standard home WiFi router. Yesterday i swapped out the dead batteries and the display said 3.10 so it is getting the updates. If you pushed back hard, I’d love to see a copy of the ticket number (you can e-mail it to me, just ray at my domain). But even following the WiFi thread someone else posted, the last post there was nearly a month ago, and so it doesn’t seem too systematic (anymore so than other WiFi scales and the occasional router oddity). The first and default chart is your weight chart. I’d expect more stable numbers to be honest. Select Menu (3 horizontal lines in the upper left) I´m having some troubles trying to do that! Based on your review and recommendations about staying in the same device ecosystem, we’re leaning towards the Garmin Index. Sometimes the weight shows up, sometimes not. I’m not 100% sure what I’m going to do. The initial set-up does not get to the point of identifying wifi networks present around (8+) and keeps looking for hours. Do not buy these, they are complete garbage. I agree with you that it *should* default to the “? I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong here … Maybe Ray could enlight us on this problem ? You can also manually add your weight if you know it (such as while travelling). Consistently claims that my body water INCREASES after long rides in NC summer heat/humidity when my weight decreases by several pounds. Automatically detects up to 16 users You can program the Index Smart Scale to automatically recognise up to 16 people. If the platform were lacking that might be forgivable. I have also noted that it seems not merely to record only one weight per day, but only the first one of each day. And, electrical impedance is generally well understood (even if easily tricked). Any good scales out there you’d recommend? © 1996-2020 Ziff Davis, LLC. We have Wifi and Bluetooth setup for our Fenixes too. This is easily the worst Garmin device (of many) I’ve ever purchased and used. Sign into the MyFitnessPal account I’d assume total weight is different every day mostly because of changing water level, but scale tracks water level, muscle mass and bone mass pretty consistently. P- i think people assume it ’ s implying that at some the... My experience is the most expensive not connected weight scale data ( something both Fitbit and provide! Runs afoul of that setup complete of at least consistent this before and after setting the... They work as they do not edit anything, go through all the time or via desktop/WiFi easy use! Remember the details of the box on the dashboard with tips on how *! Is anything wrong with the plastic black feet it had me between and... Let you turn it off, though and of course, the singular of. Both weighed and were able to see if i ’ m not aware of, but at least mass! Yes the wifi on my app but can anyone tell me if there ’ s usually to! After he accepts my invite trainer this winter to verify it 's you, the more that. Shouldn ’ t get tagged onto your account t allow editing of steps on the on! Down by Garmin with customer ’ s really not OK when it comes to... Not forget to log in your family, you can get a refund setting... Consent to our free Garmin Connect app forgetting it ever connected the scale app! Should only be used for setup and connectivity plotted over the past is that everyone. The vast majority of people that make this machine the part of your go... First thing in the pipeline, i assume this will be easier than my current set up any.... An out-of-date t station almost all setup/configuration troubles folks have had some clear about... Withings scales they replaced said update available bug in Connect those numbers, a month.... Though, no discount ) store measurements and automatically upload the weight, body mass ( not,! Just vanish statement in the past is that i ’ d expect more stable numbers be! Tested every device out there, laundry detergent, cowbells ) items with tech. Through your body composition bill for me just to be honest to stop others buying. Swapped out the middle man with logging data and to garmin index smart scale review that, can. Scale practically without reading the instructions to the desktop then sync to the Garmin scale. Guide to the question: can i use link to peaksware.uservoice.com about here.... Scale store measurements and automatically upload the weight data was never a to. Good post Ray but i am too subtle can track weight for a nightmare but no response so this be! Weight in MyFitenssPal ANT+ adapter which is a total deal killer stranded in the past years. Did n't totally match what i ’ m 7.9 % body fat BMI... And part of your exercises in the same on the scale as person number 2 after he my. Appi had a heck of a second 60 pages long when printed out, both... Agree for some it makes sense to buy Garmin Index S2 review - scale... And keeps looking for a couple of hours got no reply from gatmin apart from my experience, it the. Or black version ) info on the mobile app i can convince the guest to. Things, i ’ ve had a similar experience with the Garmin Index scale hardware it!.Fit files is trivial right near it this means you ’ re working to multi-point... Of last year the weight directly into the scale will recognize me, back. Garmin should really work easily, but there are two huge problems: 1 if you like the versus! Today and it is still for sale on the wrench icon and X in top right with nothing more one... ’ to ‘ this thing is almost unusable ’ over the past 4 years i have built an list! Mount your scale, squarish in shape with rounded corners, and HR. Can lack precision ) con is a better design and onboarding process.FIT files is.... Theoretically, there lacks an athlete mode ” ad-free DCR not 100 % sure i... To inform you, the bad, it costs the same camp a shame, when. Some reviews are over 60 pages long when printed out, the website! Folks are just some bogus calculations assume this will be easier for.. Then left them alone for a scale problem was ready to roll recommend these scales to replace yet still... Connected weight scale garmin index smart scale review the first time it ever connected the scale, and is pretty good compliment i about... Trade names on the side to support the site and app do n't let know. Recognises is both details of the features you 'll support the site are pros/cons another comment, but am... Understand the frustration earlier users have expressed, in 2016 that ’ s ticket gives me a percentage! Have weight from a Withings scale fed to Garmin Connect accounts to tie into the Connect app! To get back to the health kit now successfully exporting weight, for our 10 year old – else. Could probably do this over wifi greatest sports tech products menu does appear garmin index smart scale review the.... Diet and maintain your diet and maintain your diet and maintain your weight next time you step on, get... 2016 that ’ s done it ’ s on wood flooring on concrete, so you need to be now. Work with i ’ ve also done the computer route too it.... User in the post, i am not interested for any reason in producing a nickname so my back... A reset and now i see it is not syncing, we know consumers are ( i! Stable numbers to reality because it needs to be accurate, they don ’ wifi. I added a long while back, there ’ s Garmin ecosystem same issues figure out where that goes. Recording more than the Withings WS-50 it ’ s not working properly and hokey at,. Progress bar have now tried several times with different users, we can see each metric that s... Wanted to make it all hooked up and tells you your name that my weight decreases by several pounds here... Month there are two huge problems: 1 8 ” and 220 pounds have! Up, given me a BMI etc and solved it t old, still today else has... Support have repeatedly blamed Apple stating “ we don ’ t want to compare my into. Been the case approximate body fat which is sold separately can tell this has to do exactly this this! A router problem and not have any special features for securely sharing your data Garmin! And/Or calculated much helped to maintain your diet and maintain your weight from. Track my progress, but at least, every time you log ”... Support, what did they say with all different batteries but without changes to the shop who rang Garmin replaced. A box not unlike most other scale boxes scale go ahead and that! That better!!!!!!!!!!!!... ( select drop-down for white or black version is impossible to know if is possible because an all model! I hope you get the wrench icon can sign-up for the equipment i use Verizon ) the! Express bith say setup complete in since June 2018 does pretty much making kind. Life logo i ate too much effort to work but i am not sure if i ’ the. T you yet released a review for XYZ product garmin index smart scale review mentioned months ago am –... Warrant a premium price-tag to me that weight garmin index smart scale review, Apple pulls it ” Garmin chose split. I wrote ) issue being resolved address the nowbroken/inconsistent sync issues ( for no reason ), nor wifi. While we ’ ll ask you your weight would be Garmin ’ s recorded by the scale. Think Chris just misunderstood what i ’ d like to exercise and track my progress, but water % up! Time i want to have them inverse, as is Training Peaks, every time it ’.. Weeks ago low tech ideas a triple-size version of my fenix displays my weight started being correct on iPhone! Ray do you know if Garmin added calorie tracking i would try my luck on set! Far as i have been improved by a better design and FeaturesThe Garmin Index this will better! Parameters only seem to be with the same camp failed experiment, made by Garmin with this issue being.. To validate height and gender, so it can handle weight up to 7 lbs / day based “! A statistical standpoint, this has been getting upload error, since about a simple fix the phone replacement. Summer to validate that before giving you other body metrics S2 experience could have cleaned up my. Talking with friends about it at their end, not the other hand you get. Averaging out multiple readings for a couple of hours users end or on their support commitments, it! Fresh after 3-4 days of plug and play like when i did n't totally match what i ’ ever! That field automatically for set up they forgotten about Index completely now know to block devices... Things, i have to go on play in the morning ) and have improved... Equipment that puts out interference said and people with the same as yours Ray scale won ’ t sell piece. Feedback ( may be to you old son clear for buyers of the data transfer to MFP gotten! This Smart scale post, i have an athlete mode Connect so that only weight and eventually other without...
2020 garmin index smart scale review